Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A Love Like Theirs

Today marks the anniversary that my mom and dad got married. I'm kind of at a loss for words right now......

This time of year is always the most difficult for me. I have a lot of vivid and fresh memories of my mom from this time of the year. I was wondering just the other day why I couldn't stop thinking about her and why I was missing her so much lately. Now it's all clicking and making sense.

But just a few words about my mom and dad... They had such a great marriage! When I'm in difficult situations in my own marriage I often ask myself, "How would mom and dad handle this?" I don't ever, and I mean EVER, remember them arguing in front of the kids. And I'm sure they had their differences, they just never chose to air their dirty laundry out in front of the rest of us. Both of them always spoke kindly to one another. There was a real respect between the two of them for each other. My dad doesn't have a mean bone in his body and I was always "daddy's girl." But the one time that I remember him getting mad at me is when I was talking back to my mom. I yelled at her for something and stormed to my room. Not long after, he came in and with all the anger he could muster told me to never speak like that again to his wife! I will always remember that. He loved her and there was no way a brat teenager was going to speak badly to her. I miss seeing the dynamic between the two of them. They were in many ways opposites. But it totally worked for them. My mom needed someone like my dad to be patient with her quirky ways. And my dad needed someone like my mom to give energy and fun to his life. Now that she's not here I can definitely see that void in my dad. The old saying is true about your spouse being your better half. She was definitely my dads other half.

5 comments:

Kim said...

That is such a sweet tribute to your mother...I think that is such a good rule to live by in your marriage. I am sure your mother is so proud of you and the honor you give her by sharing such a beautiful memory.

Shaury said...

Yes it does seem like your parents had a really good marriage, a match made in heaven. I miss her too!
On another note, you really like decorating for Halloween the most? Weird!! Is that picture what your yard is going to look like? You guys should host a halloween party.

Aleesha said...

Shaury, I'd love to host a Halloween party. The only problem is I still have flash backs of how crappy I felt when I threw that one Halloween party and you and David were the only ones that came. Maybe it's time to try again and see if these old wounds can be healed.

Moline Family said...

Your mom and dad did treat each other so kindly. What good examples. If I was invited to a Halloween Party, I would love to come. I know our life is always in a bit of chaos, but I really would.

Rachel said...

I was just thinking about your sweet mom the other day. I know it's hard to remember. But great too, right?
Hey, thanks so much for your blog help.