Friday, April 16, 2010

His will

My sister-in-law Melinda just sent me this article that was written by Elder Lance B. Wickman of the Seventy. I wanted to share this one paragraph with everyone. The moment I read this part, the spirit testified to me of the truthfulness of what was said.

"Mortality’s supreme test is to face the “why” and then let it go, trusting humbly in the Lord’s promise that “all things must come to pass in their time.” But the Lord has not left us comfortless or without any answers. As to the healing of the sick, He has clearly said: “And again, it shall come to pass that he that hath faith in me to be healed, and is not appointed unto death, shall be healed." All too often we overlook the qualifying phrase “and is not appointed unto death." Please do not despair when fervent prayers have been offered and priesthood blessings performed and your loved one makes no improvement or even passes from mortality. Take comfort in the knowledge that you did everything you could. Such faith, fasting, and blessing could not be in vain! That your child did not recover in spite of all that was done in his behalf can and should be the basis for peace and reassurance to all who love him! The Lord—who inspires the blessings and who hears every earnest prayer—called him home nonetheless. All the experiences of prayer, fasting, and faith may well have been more for our benefit than for his."

I guess all I can do now, is continue the fasting and praying (actually do it even more so than ever before), then sit back and as Mandy said, "shift from fight, fight, fight, to TRUST."

7 comments:

Maria said...

I have been thinking for days of what words I could say that wouldn't be meaningless. The feelings and prayers I have had for your family is perfectly expressed in this paragraph.

I love you....thats all.

Anonymous said...

Please don't think I'm strange for commenting on a strangers blog. Our family has been following Travis's family blog for a while now. I just wanted you to know that total strangers are praying for your comfort, and I thought this message was really beautiful.

Michelle said...

Very sweet Aleesha! You are such a great sister to your brothers! I love your family so so much! You are all so amazing to me. Your mom did such a wonderful job raising you all.

Kim said...

this was perfect. trials are part of life...how we deal and help others deal is the important thing. thanks for being a rock...just remember to reach out when YOU need someone! there are tons that want to help.

Rachel said...

My heart is just broken for you and your family. That's the thing about friends, we just hurt with you. It's a good thing I didn't know about Travis when I saw you at walmart. Because I would have hugged you and you would have cried and then I would have cried and people would have been wondering what was going on in the bread aisle. My prayers are with you!

shauni said...

Aleesha, I am amazed by your strong testimony and positive attitude. We will be praying for your family during this difficult time.

Tracy said...

Aleesha...this is a really good post of trust, faith and fast....I want to use the same part of brother Wickhams talk in my class this week on fasting. My counselor has lost both of her parents to Cancer and 1 of my girls just recently lost a grandparent. I remembered that either you and Mandy had posted it and it came to my mind when preparing the lesson. Big Hugs your way. Even though I am not be best in giving hugs. I feel that I invade peoples spaces. Doesn't mean I don't think about giving hugs though. I can do service though. So here are the words that sometimes feel so hollow..I will and can help if there is something you or your family needs. I know that Alan helped you with the video last time...we can both use that same program. Just let us know.