Sunday, May 17, 2009

Yatta!!

I know, I know, everyone is on the edge of their seat waiting for the results of my first 5k. Well, without further ado, here's the low down..... I did it!!! I have not be so proud of myself in a long time. For a little background on my running experience, well, to say the least I've always hated it. Before I started training for this back in February, I'd never ran more than 1/2 mile straight. NEVER! And accumulatively, I'd never ran more than 1 mile at a time (run, walk, run, walk, walk, walk, walk...). My ears have always given me major problems, and to say the least, running just wasn't fun. I've always convinced myself that I'd rather get my aerobic exercise elsewhere that's a little more entertaining. So anyhow, I've always hated running and never in a million years thought that I would run a 5K. But guess what?! I did it, I did it, I did it! And I did it without being the last one to cross the finish line. My time was 31:31.71 and I came in 33rd place in my age group. I figure that's not that bad considering there were 96 in my age category. I'm in the top half, right? And as Mandy told me, this was a good race to give me a time to beat. But, the race went really well. I had zero side stitches! And I owe it all to my blog readers and their helpful comments. Thanks gals! The only time that I didn't know if I was going to make it or not was when there was 1/4 mile left. The finish line just wasn't coming up soon enough. There was someone running next to me and Mandy that said to her partner, "let's just walk" (and they did). And I thought to myself how nice that would be. But there was no way I was going to wuss out and walk the last fourth mile. I also have to give a shout out to Mandra! She was the perfect running partner. Not too chatty, but yet very good company. She was very motivating and very considerate of my running status. I couldn't have done it without you! (Seriously) So there you have it. Now I can go cross off # 6 on my things to do before I die list. And this isn't the end of it either. Races are so much fun, and now I'm hooked.


Me and Mandy after the big race!


My boys ran in the Kid K. I ran with Luke and I let Isaac go ahead of us on his own. To tell you the truth, the Kid K was harder for me than the 5K. I thought I was going to die running this.


We had a celebratory Ogden Marathon party later that night. Here's a pic of all the runners of the day. Can you tell who ran the Marathons and who only ran the 5K's?

9 comments:

Shaury said...

Good job Leesh! I'm super impressed & inspired too. You're awesome.

Kim said...

Hooray! Congrats and good job! Glad you had a good experience! So when is your next one? :)

Anonymous said...

Yay! I've been waiting for you to blog about it! Now I can steal the picture and blog about it, too! I had so much fun, and I'm re-motivated! Thanks!

Melinda said...

Congratulations Leesh! What a great thing. I can't wait to see everyone. Everytime I see a pic of the boys (especially Isaac) I tear up...they are growing too fast. Miss you guys...oh, tell Isaac I'm still waiting for my e-mail (no pressure)

Becky A said...

AWESOME, Aleesha! That's a great time, too! I didn't see you and Luke, but Isaac was doing great when I saw him. Way to go.

Tiffany & Co. said...

That's awesome! I'm proud of you!!!

Moline Family said...

Very impressive! I am starting to feel surrounded by people who love to run. Great job. You should be proud!

Diana said...

Way to go Aleesha!!! I'm I going to be the only nonexperienced runner on the Relay for life team?

Jeni said...

Congratulations Aleesha! I am so proud of you! I am also so happy for you!

I think I need to copy you and get a bucket list....