Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My Inquiring Mind Wants To Know

1. Why is it that when people are told to help themselves to the refreshments, no one does? But when the refreshments are brought to you, then you partake. I was at a meeting last night and as we walked in we were told to go get some cookies and water. I, myself have no problem helping myself to the refreshments, so I went on over and got a cookie and water. I soon noticed that no one followed. I thought to myself, "oh well, their loss." But then the host of the meeting also noticed this and took it upon himself to pick up the cookie tray and waters and single handedly offer them to everyone. After he was done, all but two people now had refreshments. So did these people only take a cookie because they were pressured? Or did they want one from the beginning and were what?... embarrassed?, lazy?, what? So what is it?

2. Do you think the Prince would have fallen in love with Cinderella if she would have shown up in the original dress that the mice made for her? I mean it was a cute dress and all, but it was no Fairy Godmother gown. So do you think it was the dress that caught his eye in the first place and then escalated from there? Or could she have pulled it off with the mouse dress?

3. So, as we all know my first 5K is coming up this Saturday. Please tell me that adrenaline plays a big roll in running races. I still haven't hit that 3 mile mark, and I'm getting a little nervous. I think endurance wise I can handle it. But I get this major pain in my side, aka a side ache, around the first mile and I have to fight through the pain. What's my problem? What can I do to get rid of this? I just have a couple of days left, so please help! (Mandy- I hope this isn't giving you second thoughts about agreeing to run with me. I think I'm more nervous about running with you, than actually running in the race. I just don't want to let you down. ;) I feel like you are the novice and I am the apprentice.)

8 comments:

Kim said...

WOW! Okay, lets see...I guess I can leave my two sense worth since ya asked - if you indeed really wanted people to answer. If not, well here's what I think anyway.
1. I think people tend to go with the crowd. If no one is getting refreshments, no one gets them. If everyone is doing it...like sheep. I don't know. I am one who tends to dance to the beat of my own drum sometimes though. I would have just gotten a cookie too (if I were eating sweets). You go girl!
2. I would hope Prince Charming was and is all that...you know perfect. That looks aren't everything and he was more interested in the person inside the dress. But physical attraction is the first thing that draws you to someone, so maybe it was the magnificent dress...then he fell in love with her. You have to wonder about the whole "if the shoe fits" theory though too. Hmmm?
3. I hate side stitches! I have a great technique I learned when I was training for my marathon...your hubby probably knows some too, but it is a breathing pattern...or you just run through it. :) You will do great. And I am tellin' ya. It only takes once and then you'll be hooked. You can do it!
And now, I think I have left the longest comment I ever have left before.

Maria said...

1) People are lazies

2) I think he would have noticed her in the mouse dress. She's got the pretty face. My inquiring mind wants to know- what does Baby Girl think? Please tell her Ria wants to know - she'll know who you are talking about.

3) Leesh- please tell me you have an awesome ipod playlist to run with. I basically ignore my body screaming at me if I have some good music pounding in my ears.

Anonymous said...

1. They want a cookie, but they don't want everyone looking at them taking one. Cuz maybe they think people think they shouldn't be taking a cookie or something. I dunno.
2. Definately he went for the dress. Guys are shallow like that. :)
3. Oh, girl. You have no reason to worry. I GUARANTEE you will have no problem. Adrenaline will play a big part. I am NO expert. I'm doing good these days to get a run in at all (I'll be sucking air), so we're going to think of this as a jog in the park, alrighty? It's gonna be fun! You'll definately be hooked. This will be a great race to just get a time to beat for next time! YAY!

The Close's Place said...

I use "pump it up" music and it gets me totally energized. If you are running with a friend, put one head phone in, so you can still chat.

During the race, I pick a younger and faster person that is just out of reach and I don't let her loose me. when in doubt, use competition to get you through it.

Jeni said...

The whole cookie thing bugs. I don't know why they don't partake, I have few opinions...but it bugs..I always eat the cookie.

I loved the mouse dress. I though it was cute and looked like something I wore to senior cotillion. :) I think the Prince would have picked her regardless.

I don't really like to give running advice because I'm not hat good...BUT my friend once helped me with the stitch in my side..like Kim said, it's a breathing pattern. The one that works for me is this:
While you run, breath in through your nose and let your belly expand with that air, then out through your mouth and let your belly deflate.

You will do so good!...the adrenaline WILL kick in and you will surprise yourself. HAVE FUN!

Jenny Kapp said...

You're funny! 1. I usually have a hard time unless the cookies look like something I really want. It is the whole too many calories thing.
2. Cinderella had a heart of gold. Maybe the dress enticed, but he did keep dancing with her all night long. She had substance to match the pretties!
3. It really is about breathing! I studied it in school. You need oxygen to move from anaerobic (which is your initial energy supply) to aerobic (the energy supply you use for longer distances) exercise. You are having a hard time converting between the two. Breathe deeper as you start your running to try and ease between the two! Good luck! I have seen you on the treadmill and you look hot! That is what is most important right??

Jenny Kapp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Becky A said...

I've heard that the first 3 miles are the hardest. I don't know, because I've never run farther than a 5k, and I am not yet hooked. But they tell me that's why...because I need to go further. I don't know.

I am not afraid to partake of refreshments regardless. I like cookies.

It was SO the dress. I guess I'm a cynic.