
Today it will have been 2 years since my mom passed away. When I think about the details of this very day two years ago, it seems like it was forever ago. But at the same time it seems like my mom was just barely here. Just on Saturday I caught myself excited to show my mom my crafts that I made at Super Saturday. Man, it's still so dang hard to deal with.
To commemorate this day me and my family are going out to eat. With a little persuasion on my end we've decided to go eat at the Union Grill. 25th Street and Downtown Ogden just reminds me so much of my mom. So for this post, I'm going to list the reasons why it reminds me of her.
- One of her first jobs was working at the Railroad Station. I think she worked at the snack counter. As a matter of fact, she even saw Elvis Presley through a crowd of people from a distance there.
- Her dad, and my Grandpa, owned a hotel on 25th street. It was called the Helena Hotel. The Hotel is no longer there, but the building is. And it still says Helena on it.
- When Isaac and his cousin Cooper were younger they had an obsession with trains. So for their birthday my mom and dad would take them to the Union Station.
- My mom loved the battered onion rings at the Union Grill. I never liked Onion Rings until my mom introduced me to the Union Grill ones.
- My mom and dad, along with Shaury and her parents, took us to eat at the Union Grill after we graduated from High School.
- The very last thing my mom and I did together was walk down 25th street and looked at all the shops. I remember that day so fondly. I was big and pregnant and uncomfortable and she had a huge headache, but that didn't stop either of us from doing what we wanted to do. I remember her trying to get me to try on this Hawaiian dress that was just uglier than ugly. She of course thought it was cuter than cute. I kept telling her no, but she just kept insisting. So finally, in the middle of the sidewalk, I broke down and put on that stinkin' dress over top of my clothes. She ranted and raved at how cute it was and that I needed to buy it. I humored her in trying on the dress, but there was no way I was buying it. I also remember the whole time we were there she wanted to figure out what type of pumpkin was my type. Did I like the glass ones, or the wicker ones, or the fabric ones, etc, etc. She nearly drove me crazy with this. Every store we went into she'd find the pumpkins and ask me which one I liked. I probably drove her even more crazy because I didn't know which one was my favorite. I wasn't really in the pumpkin mood that day. I also remember eating lunch at Gandolfo's. We of course got the seat by the window, so she could look out and see everyone walking by us. Well, while we were people watching, a lesbian couple walked by. My mom then proceded to educate me on the gays and lesbians. I knew everything she was telling me, but I found it hilarious that she thought she was so cool because she knew so much about them. So I just sat and listened to her nonsense so-called facts. I will always fondly remember that day.
I love my mom. I know I'll see her again, it's just not very fun in the meantime.
Fourth of July fun.
12 years ago
9 comments:
Oh Aleesha. I love hearing you talk about your mom. It's so sweet and honest and you can just feel the love you have for her. I'm here for you in any way that I can be. I love you!
I had totally forgotten that we ate at the Union Grill after graduation (I was really grouchy that day is all I remember). I love your mom memories. I can always hear your mom's laugh in my head, it's very contagious, & she was always laughing at something. I love her, & I love you too.
Such sweet memories. Your mom was great! I think you have a lot of her in you. I can just imagine you trying on that dress. So funny!
such a great post, Aleesha! stories that I hadn't heard. I can imagine the dress trying on, too. She was so much fun. I can hear her contagious laugh, too. :)
I can totally picture everything you just wrote in this post. What a special memory! I love that you ate the Union Grill in honor of her, how meaningful. Did you have the onion rings? XOXO
I love that you remember all of the details of your last times together. I hope that you feel peace. Thinking of you and hurting for you.
Oh I just love reading about your mom. She is such a special lady. What a beautiful, fun, post about her.
Hi Aleesha,
I miss Lana a lot. I miss her telling me that she liked me. When I make things your Grandma Dorothy always states that Lana would have liked that...and of course I know she would have. We actually liked many of the same simple things. We miss seeing you and your family. Hopefully Lana will stay in our memories for a long time and that we can keep doing what she would want us to do. Miss you Lana.
Tracy
Aleesha,
I am so sorry I didn't know-You are so strong. I remember your mom and she was always so sweet.
Post a Comment