I just received the dreaded phone call that my Grandpa Poll passed away. Could this time of year get any worse? It's so hard to put into words how I feel right now. We could all see this coming. I mean he was 91 years old and has been saying that he was going to die any day now for the past 15 years. But yet, it still doesn't make it any easier. I'm just glad that I was able to be with him and talk with him before he left us. When I was little he use to bring me back rolls of quarters from his gambling trips to Wendover. All I had to do was sit on his lap in order to get them. This past Thursday I went to visit him, and as I was leaving he told me that he didn't have any quarters for me, but I could still come and sit on his lap if I wanted to. Of course I'm way too big for that, and he was way too old, but I went and kissed him on the forehead and told him I loved him. This is the last memory that I'll always hold dear and remember.
He is really going to be missed. He was a farmer from the old school. He was hard working, he was known to cuss and swear, he was politically incorrect, he loved to tell a good story (over and over and over), he liked to tease his grandkids, and most importantly he was loved by many. I'm grateful to have lived next door to him growing up so I was able to be close to him. Not many people can say that they lived right next door to their grandparents. Most importantly at this time I'm grateful for the knowledge I have that I'll see him again. It's also kind of fun to think that him and my mom are probably reuniting at this very moment.
I love you Grandpa, you'll be missed.
Fourth of July fun.
12 years ago
10 comments:
Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I know you loved him a lot. Such sweet memories too! Keep smiling from the happy thoughts of reuniting!
Aleesha, I hadn't heard.
That is so great that you have such a precious "final moment" with him.
I remember your grandpa being my bus driver in elementary. I thought I was so cool because I knew he was you and Travis's grandpa.
That is nice to think of him and your mom seeing each other again.
So sorry for your loss. He truly is a great man. Before I even finished reading your post I picked up the phone to call Kent. It will break his heart to hear the news. He loves him like a grandpa too. The other day he came home late from a meeting and I asked him where he had been and he said I just stopped off to visit with G&G Poll. Now I am so glad he did. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Sorry Aleesha, it is always hard to lose people. Maybe you better watch Twilight again to lift your spirits. I'm going Friday with the fam. Curious to see what the men think.
Aleesha, our prayers are with you. What a great man he must have been. Your memories in this post make me want to be the kind of person that will leave family with such great feelings and stories.
I'm so sorry for your loss, Leesh. I really liked reading about your "quarters" story. I have a similar memory of my Grandpa Fufi, involving his Shell gas station and dollar bills...We'll have to swap Grandpa stories sometime. :)
Aleesha- that was beautifully put. I completely understand. My heart is full. You are so sweet.
So sorry Aleesha! This stuff is so hard! You really are pretty amazing though. You have such a great attitude and outlook with tough stuff! Love ya and I'm here for you!
What a wonderful final memory of your grandpa. I have a similar one of my grandma Birt. You're awesome, & I love you!
Beautiful post Aleesha. There is nothing in the world like grandparents.
PS: He was a great bus driver! :)
Post a Comment