Sunday, April 13, 2008

Shim

So, a few days ago we had a mutual activity at the mall. A few adults disguised themselves, and the YM & YW had to try and find these people, then ask them questions to figure out which Book of Mormon prophet they were. Well, I was one of the adults that got to disguise myself. I borrowed a wig from Jenny Kapp and put a bandanna on. Well, I guess my disguise was a little too good because most of the groups of YM & YW just passed by me without recognizing who I was. So this gave me a really good opportunity to people watch while I was at the mall. This is something that me and my mom did all the time when I was younger. While sitting there I couldn't help but think of my most memorable people watching experience.
My mom and I were in the Ogden Mall, and there was a well known cross dresser that people called Shim. (She and Him combined). So my mom and I scouted Shim out and devoted our day to watching him/her. It was hilarious. We followed Shim everywhere. He/She would just wander around the mall, with no real purpose, acting as girly as he possibly could. I mostly remember how he would bend over and fix his nylons, or get out his compact mirror and fix his lipstick. I tell you what, that was one entertaining day. Well, the entertainment didn't stop there. My mom took it a step further. (Which if you didn't know her, that's no surprise). I soon found out that Shim only lived a few blocks away from my Grandma Covieo. So what did we do? That's right, we followed Shim home! We waited a few hours while we did our shopping that we went there in the first place to do, then we set out to Shim's house. When we drove by I think I was in more shock by what I saw there than when I initially saw him as Shim. Shim was now a full on HIM. He was out working on his car in greasy clothes, and he had kids running around in his yard! I couldn't believe it! My mom told me that this man was married with kids and for some reason just had this need to dress as a woman and go out in public. Oh man, that was such an entertaining day. It makes me miss my mom more than anything though.

6 comments:

Becky A said...

That is hilarious! I can just hear your mom laughing!

Diana said...

I think you need to post a picture of your disquise - you were great. I wish I could of been a fly on the wall at Desert Book when you walked in looking like a punk and asked for Who's Who. I'm sure the clerks were all talking. The activity was a lot of fun - good job to all the YW leaders.
As far as people watching - it is one of my favorite pass times too.

Tiffany & Co. said...

Oh, that is so funny! What's with the strange people in this world? How embarrassing for his family! That sounds like something me and my dad would do together. Remind me to tell you about the homeless guy some time. I feel like I knew your mom.

Angie said...

Yep, that is so your Mom. I knew she stalked ambulances but who would've known about Shim had you not shared this. Hope heshe got the car running.

Jenny Kapp said...

That is so awesome! Your Mom was so very funny! I was laughing so hard reading that story! Tears in the eyes!!

Diana said...

Thanks for lending me all your purses SHIM and your mom would be proud of your collection.