Thursday, August 13, 2009

10 Year Anniversary

So we all know about how Matt and I went on our trip to Kauai to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. But our official anniversary was actually July 30th. So my dear hubby planned a surprise getaway for this also. He sent me an e-mail and told me to pack my bags for the night and have the kids bags packed ready for a sleepover at Grandma's. I was gitty at the get-go. First off, we checked in at the Salt Lake Hilton, then we went to dinner at the Melting Pot. I'd never been there before so this was quite the experience. I was loving the appetizers (thinking about that cheese is making my mouth water), and I loved the dessert (okay my mouth is really watering now thinking about that chocolate), but when it came to the main course, I wasn't too sure about it. The broth we chose was gross, and I didn't really like the fact that you had to cook your own dinner. After dinner we walked around Gateway, then went to a movie. We saw The Proposal...very funny! There were a few way too long uncomfortable scenes, but other than that, I really enjoyed it. The next day Matt and I went to the Salt Lake Temple. I haven't done any temple work there since we'd gotten married. So that was really nice to go back there. The temple was really busy that day, so we ended up doing initiatories. And poor Matt had to wait a good hour extra waiting for me. There was major drama in the womens section. First a temple worker had to get rushed out in a stretcher, then another temple worker had to take a break because she thought she was going to pass out from the heat. So after all that they were short on workers and it took extra long to get everyone through. After the temple Matt and I went to the Church History Center and messed around on the computer. We typed in his Great, Great, Great.... Grandpa's name Philemon Merrill (it's a name that's been passed down for who knows how many generations) and we found a funny coincidence. One of Philemon Merrill's sons, Philemon Merrill, Jr., lived in Grouse Creek. My Grandma Covieo's side of the family is from there. Now my family all knows how small Grouse Creek is and how much of a coincidence that actually is. But for those of you that don't know about Grouse Creek, the population is about 200 people tops. So for Matt and I to have any conncection there is quite incredible. It seems like there are so many scenarios and situations where Matt and I are connected somehow. I guess we really are meant to be together. But our little getaway was so nice! Matt is always so thoughtful when it comes to gift giving. He's always so sincere, and you can tell that he was thinking about you when he got it. I'm so so grateful to have met and married him. We're definitely opposites in many many ways, but as the good old Miss Paula Abdul once said, "you know-it ain't fiction, just a natural fact, we come together cuz opposites attract."






4 comments:

Monica said...

I love the Melting Pot! That trip sounds like it was really fun. And Leesh, your Paula Abdul quote is cracking me up big time. :)

Anonymous said...

So does that mean Matt will be sneaking you off to Grouse Creek one of these days? :) You two are good together. Opposites DO attract. We have the same magnetism going on over here!

Shaury said...

I too agree that opposites attract, but it can make it hard to pick a movie or decide what to eat. Anyways happy anniversary!

Kim said...

Happy Anniversary! Glad you had a fun time celebrating both times. And good job Matt!