Friday, January 9, 2009

I Need Some Answers

So I have a few questions that I need to throw out there and get some answers from ya'll.

#1- How often do you let your kids' friends come over and play? Both Isaac and Luke ask every single day if a friend can come over and I'm wondering if I'm mean by not letting them every day, or is this okay.

#2- For those of you that send your kid to school with a home lunch, what do you pack for them? Isaac was complaining of always having a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and I was seriously thrown back by this comment. Kids aren't suppose to care if they have the same thing for lunch every day are they?

#3- How often do you deep clean your house? You know... toilets, bathtubs, showers, mopping, etc. I need some honesty here. I need to know if I'm a way big slacker or if I'm with the norm.

#4- What happened to the cutest blog on the block website? I'm stuck with this dang Christmas backdrop because their site has disappeared.

#5- How often do you text? I just joined the texting community and got a text plan for my phone. And not only how often, but who? I guess I just don't get the whole texting thing yet. Please explain.

I'd really appreciate everyone to help me out here. These are some burning questions that have been on my mind that I need some outside input on.

15 comments:

Nicole said...

I only let friends come over maybe once every two weeks but my kids haven't hit that school age yet. As for the cutest blog on the block, I am having the exact same problem if you didn't notice. The big perk to texting is getting a hold of people when they won't answer a phone but they will send a text. Michelle is sometimes easier to get ahold of through texts. Another perk is when you just have a question and you don't want to go through a lengthy conversation just to get the answer. Well there is my two cents.

Monica said...

Leesh, about question 5 - I agree with your friend Nicole and would say that one of the reasons to text is to get a quick and simple answer to a quick and simple question you may have for a friend, avoiding a long conversation that may ensue if you were to call. Not that long conversations with friends is bad, just sometimes you don't have time and just need a quick answer. For me, that + the super cool ability you now have to send a mass announcement via text to all your friends when needed, are the only instances that I send out a text. 'Cause I'm old school and prefer to receive an actual phone call from a friend that is wondering how I'm doing...I find it very annoying when I get a text from someone that says, "How's it going?" Ugh.

Anonymous said...

1. We usually allow the friend thing to happen on Friday, and SOMETIMES one other week day. I definitely don't think it is mean to not invite friends over every day! We usually have a lot going on, scouts, practices, etc, and with the kids getting out from school so late, it's dinner time before you know it.
2. Cooper eats home lunch every day. But you know him, he LIKES it to be predictable. I usually rotate peanut butter and ham&cheese. :)
3. Ugh. I TRY to clean the bathrooms once a week. I honestly only mop the floor every-other week if I'm lucky, and in-between I do the swiffer. But I have the hardest time with the deep cleaning issues. It's so hard to get it all done regularly.
4. ??
5. Amen.

Amy said...

1. I am a homebody and love to have my kids home too. I discourage playing with friends daily. Plus I make them do chores before they can play-- so some of my kids (Halle) are sad and want to play at other homes daily. But she deals. I feel like my kids are gone too long at school for them to come home and be gone for the rest of the day.
2. PB&J everyday. Or PB&H (honey). School lunch on Wednesdays. Home lunch on all the other days. I do try to put homebaked things in their lunch though.
3. I try to clean my bathrooms weekly. Sometimes it is a week and a half before they get a good cleaning. (or 2 :<) I have three bathrooms though.
4. Okay- so cutest blog on the block had server overload and went kaputz. They are fixing it. check here http://cutestblogontheblock.blogspot.com/ for updates.
5. I NEVER text- ever.

Jenny Kapp said...

1. I let Elise play with friends who are close enough to walk to for about 1 hour each day. They have to be close enough to walk to though.
2. Good luck!
3. I clean the bathrooms weekly everything in the bathroom, mop when it needs it, deeper cleaning twice a year. I try to spring and fall clean deeply, baseboards, walls, etc.
4. I go to Ashley backgrounds for mine. There is a link on my site if you decide to give up!
5. I text Chris. When he doesn't answer his phone, it usually means he is in a meeting and he will text back quick replies. Also, my youngest brother texts constantly - maybe we are just out of the loop and old. Otherwise I agree with everyone else on usage.

Good questions! I will be checking back for more answers too!

Shaury said...

Let's see
#1 - We play with friends on Saturdays or if we're doing something fun during the week that a friend could be included in. Just tell them to be thankful they have each other to play with:)
#2 - I don't do school lunches yet, but I've made David's lunches for a few spontaneous streaks. The kraft foods web site has some fun ideas if ya want to look that up. Wraps are yummy! It's fun to have a diffent thing for each day of the week. Like for breakfasts we do muffins on Mon., toast on Tues., waffles on Wed. ect.
#3 - My goal is a good clean once a week so it usually happens at least every other week. Deeper cleaning twice a year (when we move) ha ha.
#4 - ?
#5 - Texting is great & fun. You'll probably like it since you don't like the phone thing so much. My mom & Becky always text so you can always text them for fun if you want. You know, for the small stuff.

jaclyn said...

1. it depends if i like the kid my kids want to play with, seriously! if i like em & were not doing anything go for it! i do encourage playing with kids that live closer.
2.they rarely eat home lunch
3. i do a major cleaning on mondays, i figure the weekend is when my house is at it's worse so it a fine time to get a good clean on. the rest of the week i set the kitchen timer for 10 min. & we all clean up until the buzzer rings.
4. um... i pay $5 for mine, i've just never found a free one that's me.
5.i suck at texting, i'm way too slow.

Becky A said...

Aleesha, you are so funny!
1. Friends on Friday, if that. I agree with whoever else said they are in school too long to be gone or playing with friends after school. I like them home. Plus I go to work at 6 every night, so it just doesn't really work out for us.
2. Home lunches are rare in our family, so when I do them I go all out. Like Shaury says, Kraft.com has some really fun lunch ideas for kids. That's what I use when I do them.
3. Not a cleaner, at all, but I "clean" on mondays, except the bathrooms, I do one a day all week, but not the tubs that often, just the basics. I struggle with deep cleaning, it's all I can do to stay on top of the regular stuff. and because my kitchen is new, I do my floor twice a week, but I'm sure that will slack off once the newness wears off!
4. no idea...
5. I text Brandon back and forth a lot throughout the day. My mom texts me and Shaury texts me a little bit. What is great is now that Abby has a phone, it's a great way to keep in touch with her throughout the day, and mostly evenings when I'm at work and can't really answer my phone every 10 minutes when one of the kids needs to call me. Love to text, easier than calling, but just for the little things, not a major conversation.
I LOVE this post. So fun to put in my two cents, and read everyone else's, too! :)

Becky A said...

p.s. do you own the book "uglies"? I've been wanting to read it. Can I borrow it if you do? Should I text you to get a quicker answer? :)

Aleesha said...

Becky- I'm not going to answer you about the book because I want you to text me. I've only gotten 4 texts so far. 2 from my phone company and 2 from Matt. I'll e-mail you my number and then eagerly await for your text. You have no idea how excited I am right now!

Aleesha said...

By the way, thanks everyone for all your answers so far. This is really helping me out.

Jeni said...

Oh boy...now you've got my brain going...
1. I think this is a demographic question...if friends live next door, then it's easy to have friends over..but when it involves planning/driving...cade usually does a once a week thing...where my poor girls are lucky if it's once a month...face it..who wants TWO friends over (it's ok..I'm ok with it :). It will change when they get older.)
2. Jason eats PB &J EVERY day & is perfectly fine with it.
3. Mop once a week, bathrooms deep clean once a week and a wipe down in between. I HAVE to vacuum at leas 4 times a week-one thing I'm anal about.
4. I'm no help with this one...have you noticed by backdrop has NEVER changed?
5. I like to text. But I also like to talk. I usually only get texts from Jason ( a few everyday), amy H (occasionally), or family members (on the weekends).
well...now you know my dirt. :)

Diana said...

Here's my scoop
1. Play days on Wednesday and Friday if they are lucky - btw McKay is dying to play with Isaac, but the last couple of times we called he wasn't able to play, so now the ball is in your court. I told Mckay he had to wait for Isaac to call him.
2. my kids enjoy yougurt for a change once in a while or cheese and crackers
3. do I have to be honest???
4. ???
5. I'm behind the times and just barely got a cell phone over the weekend.
BTW I found my diamond earring:)

Tiffany & Co. said...

Deep clean pre-Krew: Once per week, Deep clean post-Krew, once every two weeks. But I do use scrubbing bubbles wipes on the off week to wipe up a bit. And I am constantly picking stuff up and trying to keep things tidy. Way harder to find the time.

My phone really sucks for texting, it's a frustrating experience, so I rarely do it. But I loved it when I had a Blackberry, but kinda addictive.

Uriona Family said...

I loved this post of yours. I read it a few days ago and didn't have any answers for you so I had to come back to answers for myself.
My kids aren't old enough to play on their own. We have a set playdate once a week and then maybe one other day of the week but that is pushing it.
Cleaning (real cleaning) happens once a week for everything. Never on the same day so my house never feels all the way clean to me. But it is always picked up and well disgused to be clean.
I don't even have a cell phone so texting is out.
No lunches to pack either. We eat here leftovers, or whatever is on hand.