Ever since I was little I've always appreciated those that could gracefully age. I've admired all the little oldies in my ward with all their wrinkles and a story to go with each wrinkle. When I was in elementary my mom enrolled me in modeling classes. One of the instructors there was an older woman, probably in her late 60's, that I just admired! I thought she was beautiful. There were countless "model" type looking women instructors, but to me this older woman was the one that I looked up to. I clung to every word she said, wanting to be just like her and still remember her advise to this day. She encouraged us to keep our bodies healthy and strong in every way, so that when the inevitable aging process happens, we'll be the best version of "you" that we can possibly be without artificially altering ourselves. Over the years I have really tried to take her advise to heart. I use sunscreen, I don't drink caffeine, I exercise regularly, I "try" to avoid artificially processed foods, I try to keep myself mentally in check, etc. But every so often the world or my own weaknesses get a hold of me and I cave in.
When I turned 33 this past week, I did an internal look at myself and who I think I should be at this age and I've decided to do yet another overhaul of my life. And to spare you all from every detail of my overhaul, I'll just stick with the topic of gracefully aging.
I've spent a lot of time this past week taking a long hard look at myself in the mirror. At first I did what probably a lot of women instinctively do. I picked myself apart and found every flaw that I could. But seeing as my new word for the year is "perspective" I decided to take a different approach to these so-called flaws. And here is what I came up with...
My frown lines (as you can see I have two distinct ones) represent the deaths of my mom and brother Travis. They help remind me of the trials I've been through and the person I am today because of those trials.

My random gray hairs represent the stresses of marriage that I've gone through. Matt and I have had our fair share of struggles, but just like my gray hairs, there are way more good times than bad, and I need to focus on those. I have one amazing husband that I adore (even though he does give me gray hairs!)

My elongated dimple marks represent all the people that have come into my life that have made me laugh or smile.

My sun marks remind me of my fabulous childhood playing in the sun. I have the most fondest memories of my childhood!

And lastly, my crows feet/smile lines represent my children and my husband. (I conveniently have 5 distinct lines, three on one side and two on the other). These are my favorite wrinkles. Nothing makes me smile more than my family.

So now when I look in the mirror I like what I see. I love that just like the old ladies I've always admired, my flaws and signs of aging all have a story to tell!

4 comments:
You make me laugh! You are so young looking and so beautiful! I was complaining to my mom that I had all my dads wrinkles and how old that made me look. She laughed and said she always has loved my dads wrinkles because they make his smile look so much brighter. Since then I have loved my wrinkly eyes and how they enhance my smile. It is all about perspective! The grey hairs though...not so sure about!
Love, love, love this post!! You are so great!! Aging gracefully can be a difficult task, however I think you are doing it beautifully!! I never thought of looking at my pimples in a positive way! Love it! :)
You are so pretty!! Love this post & idea!!
You are beautiful in every way...I need to try to reach out and be a part of others lives.n I miss seeing you.I love your blog. What a cute way of showing w how you have evolved. You look just like your mamma in the first picture. I love you, I know you are doing all that is good and honorable and loving in your life. Love you
Post a Comment