Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Memorable Memorial Day

Memorial Day was a really nice day. To start the day my family got together for breakfast at my dad's. I think this might have to be a new tradition of ours, because I really liked it. It was nice and laid back, and we had excellent food. After breakfast we headed over to the So. Ogden cemetery to meet up with the Poll side of the family. It's been a few years since I've gone, so it was nice to see all my aunts, uncles, cousins, second cousins, great aunts, great uncles, etc. I was reminded how nice it is to be a Poll. I love my extended family and I love being around them. I was nicely reminded by Craig Poll that the only way to stay close to family is to come around more often. :)

After that we headed over to the Uintah cemetery to visit my mom's grave. It was nice to be with just my family and visit there. Since it's a little more secluded and not as many graves, the kids are free to run around, and we can sit back and relax. I know I've been saying a lot lately that I'm really missing my mom, so I'm going to try and put that energy into better use. She was an amazing woman and I'm going to try and keep her memory alive a little better. I'm trying to find ways that I can be more like her, and I'm trying to tell more stories about her to my kids. It really does help to talk about her.

After visiting the cemeteries we went back to my dad's house and hung out for the rest of the day. The kids went to the park and played baseball while the adults rested and visited with each other. I honestly can't think of a better way to have spent Memorial Day. Family means the world to me and there's nothing I'd rather do than spend time with them!

Me, My Brothers, and Dad


The Men

Rock

Maya and Cousins Reese aka "My Best Friend Reese"


I hope everyone's Memorial Day was a good one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love our new tradition, too. I also love those cute pictures of our dress-lovin' girls. Doesn't get any cuter than that!

Diana said...

Maya and Reese look so dang cute, that last picture should be entered into some sort of memorial day photo contest:) I also love your headband. Anytime you want to hear stories of your amazing mom come on over, Kent loved that women and could tell ya a few.

Monica said...

Ditto on Diana's comment about the last photo of Maya and Reese + your headband! I'm glad you had such a nice Memorial Day.