Thursday, May 20, 2010

I Am Woman...

It seems like I've done a lot of woman-type things lately. I guess I needed it after that "mancation" of mine, right?

A few weeks ago I went to Women's Conference. And as always, I loved every single second of it. It's always so nice to get reminded of my roles as a mother, wife, friend, ward member, etc, and to be given advise on how to better my self in these roles. My favorite talk (along with many others) was the talk given at the opening session by Sister Julie Beck. I have really taken to heart the "essential," "necessary," and "nice to do" counsel she gave us. It has made a world of difference in my daily life. Along with the wonderful classes I went to, I was able to enjoy spending time with my girly friends. It's a given that each year we will always have some sort of fun/interesting/dramatic memories that stand out and make it memorable. This year was not to disappoint in the least :)!


Mother's Day was as special as it always is. It started off a day early when Maya decided to pick most of the tulips in our front yard and give them to me. If she didn't look so dang cute I might have gotten a little mad. But how do you get mad at this?...

I was woken in the morning by being bombarded by all my kiddos and their gifts. Their teachers went all out this year with all the crafts they made for moms. I have more "happy helper" coupons than I know what to do with. Sweet!



And I musn't forget the wonderful mom's in my life. This mother's day was a little harder than the last few since my mom has passed away. I have really been missing her a lot lately. It seems like it's been way too long since I've seen her. Wouldn't it be nice if the heavens could part for just a few minutes so I could be reassured that my mom really is up there? Not that I don't have faith that she is, it would just give me a huge boost to be able to see her even for just a split second.
But I've gotta say, I am more and more grateful to have had such a wonderful mom. She was definitely one of a kind. It's so nice that I have such a great example to live up to. I see bits and pieces of her in me and it makes me so proud that I have the potential to be like her. I love you mom!!!
As a family we all met at the cemetery to celebrate mother's day. Chad's Angie brought a brick square for all of the kids to write their initials on. It was a cute idea. And of course, the majority of the time was spent with the kids running/rolling down the hill near her grave.



And of course there's my dear mother-in-law. She's also such a huge example to me. I've truly learned what service is all about by watching her in action. I don't think a day goes by that she's not thinking about and doing something for someone else. Lucky me, I get to be on the receiving end of her giving quite often. She is an amazing woman!!

Last week I went to a PTA conference at BYU. It was a fun learning experience for me. I was amazed at how many wonderful women (and a few choice men) there are out there volunteering for the sake of our kids. And for those of us that have kids that go to the elementary school out here, you are in for a big treat next year. We have one awesome PTA board that has a lot of fun and exciting ideas.

And lastly, me and some of my friends ran in the Ogden Relay that was this past weekend. This was such a fun thing to do. Sadly, I hadn't ran much since my 5K last year, so I had a lot of training to do. I was running the 5 mile leg and the farthest I had ran was 3 miles. Even more sadly, come the day of the race that was still the farthest I had ran. Amazingly, I still did really well. I ran my leg with ease (it probably helped that it was all down hill and was through the beautiful canyon). Then when I got to the next leg I felt so good I decided to keep going and finish the race. This way I'd be able to cross the finish line with my whole team. Unfortunately, my knee totally gave out on me about a mile into the last leg. So I told my other team mates to go ahead and finish without me. There was no way I could run any more. So they ran ahead, and I hobbled along as best as I could. Then out of the blue my knee miraculously started to feel better. So I tried to run on it a little and I was able to as long as my leg was straight. So I ran (I guess you could call what I was doing running) as fast as I could to catch up with my team and was able to finish the race with them all! That was the best feeling of accomplishment that I have had in a long time. I'm impressed with all of us. I think we all pushed ourselves in one way or another and were able to finish victoriously! (ok, maybe we weren't really victorious, but I had to throw that in there since at one time our team name was Victorious Secret. Along the way it got changed to Hot Tamales).

5 comments:

Kim said...

Aleesha. You are amazing to me and such a great example of a mother and friend. I had so much fun with you at Women's Conference and then was so inspired and impressed by your determination Saturday. A testimony to me that you really can do something if you have faith and put your mind (and body) to it.

Elder and Sister Birt said...

I saw you come running into the finish line...we were in the stands, good job! Your mom would be so proud of all your accomplishments, I would be hearing all about everything you do if she was here. I miss her bragging about you all the time. I miss her every day. You are blessed to have such a "one of a kind" mother! And, yes, you becoming more like her all the time.

linda said...

Aleesha, I am so thankful for you. You are, your Mothers daughter.. She would be so proud of you, in every way. One thing that comes to mind is the determination you have been blessed with. Did you know that Your Mother was just a "Little bit" determined? So funny. Her motto, "where there is a will there's a way"
You're such an amazing Mom.I love you.

Diana said...

Aleesha, the offer still stands! You're the one that inspired me to give 'a long run' a shot, especially after talking to you on Sunday. Perhaps the 1/2 marathon will be in both our futures. Now that would really be pushing it for me. We should go running sometime.

Amy said...

I like it. Cute post and pictures- except maybe the last one is a bit cheesy. :) You are ssuch a great friend Aleesh. I am grateful to have you in my life. It was so much fun to run with you. You knew I wasn't feeling so hot on race day- but 5 miles in and I was thinking "oh yeah, I get to meet up with Aleesha. It will make running so much more fun" and it honestly did. Good times.