Friday, January 15, 2010

Hype

I'll admit that sometimes I buy into hype. It can be fun! For example, Twilight, Harry Potter, and Wicked. There's a ton of hype surrounding all three of them, and in my opinion the books/movies live up to the hype. And now I begrudgingly admit that I have jumped on the Farmville band wagon on facebook. That's a fun little game. But then there are times that the product doesn't live up to the hype, yet people keep hyping it up. This is where my annoyance comes in.

Example #1: My in-laws took my kids to the new in-n-out burger a couple of weeks ago and said that the line was just ridiculous. If it wasn't for my father-in-law that had his heart set on it they probably would have turned around and gone somewhere else. A few months ago when our family went to St. George we decided to stop at in-n-out. This was actually my first experience with this hyped up restaurant. I'd seen people with the t-shirts, and I've heard about how delicious it is so I was expecting a really great meal. Well, after standing in the most ridiculous line for a good 5-10 minutes & wrestling with my children, I looked up to the menu board and realized that it was pure burgers! No kids meals, no chicken nuggets, no variation in sides, nada. Nothing but burgers! I was shocked. I then said to myself, this must be one awesome burger if that's all they sell. Well, after we sat down (outside because there was absolutely no sitting room inside) I finally bit into this so-called fabulous burger. I paused a moment, looked over at Matt and said, "I don't get it." I definitely did not get the hype with this burger only restaurant. The burger wasn't gross or anything, it was just okay. Burger Bar serves up a much more delicious burger than that.

Example #2: For weeks my kids and I have been driving by the new Chick-fil-a that opened up on Riverdale Road. And for weeks the drive thru line as been wrapped around the building, and the parking lot has been filled to capacity. I don't get it. I mean, just around the corner there's a Chick-fil-a in the mall that's been there ever since I can remember. I admit, I was a little excited to see an actual Chick-fil-a restaurant outside of a mall open up. But seriously, the lines that I've seen at that place are outrageous.

So why is it. I get it when the hype lives up to it's claim. I'm not one to shy away from the bandwagon. I think it makes life fun. But when the hype doesn't live up? Why? Maybe it's just an opinion thing and where your priorities lie. I'm a lover of books and movies, so when I hear good hype about one of them I jump in feet first. And I guess I'm not that much of a lover of food, and my two examples just happen to be restaurant examples. Maybe that's what it is. But then again, Transformers 2 is now the 10th highest grossing film of ALL TIME, and that movie absolutely sucked (for lack of a better word)! I mean it passed Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (awesome movie) in how much it made. Ridiculous!! But that movie was so hyped up, and people bought into the hype. So now my theory just got blown out. What's your opinion on why this kind of thing happens? Please help me understand...

6 comments:

Angie said...

Leesh, I love your posts so much. They make me laugh. I also love buying into hype sometimes. It makes life exciting and fun. Its fun being around a lot of people that enjoy the same things you do. Like the midnight showing of New Moon. That was so much fun. You could feel the excitement in the air. Its fun being apart of something big and feeling connected some how with the people around you.

Jenny Kapp said...

I know - my cousin parked in In and Out burgers drive through 24 hours early so he could be the first customer! I really don't get it either! Especially when something doesn't live up to the hype, people still ooh and aah over really dumb things!

Rachel said...

I am ashamed to say, I was in the chic-fil-a line. I can only excuse myself my adding that they were giving away free chicken sandwiches.
Are you on the Avatar hype list?

Aleesha said...

Yes I am on the Avatar band wagon! That was an awesome movie.

Melinda said...

Well, the problem with hype is that you don't know if the item in question is worth it's hype until you try it out...then its too late. People try to warn you about bad hype but you just gotta see if for your self...BTW I totally don't get the AVATAR hype! Sorry to disappoint...so opinion is a Huge factor as well since (do I dare say) I don't get the hype on: Twilight (so sorry) and Avatar but totally get the hype on In and Out...We won't solve this one today folks!

Kim said...

I think it comes down to we all want something to be excited about and something to look forward to. It's sometimes sad that it has to superficial at times, but we need it, we crave it and I think its okay - as long as we keep it in check and that the item of desire truly lives up to all the hype - - definitely along the lines of Twilight. I don't get the Burger thingy either...