Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Creative Power


I loved the intention behind yesterday's yoga class. Hope mentioned that when problems arise or obstacles get in our way there are usually two different kinds of people. There's the "realist" who usually sees the logical way of working it out and if that doesn't work, then it's just not going to work. Then there's the "optimist." This person usually has the "where there's a will, there's a way" type of attitude and they're bound and determined to find a solution. And usually when you have that kind of attitude creativity plays a big roll in how you solve the problem. So Hope asked us to channel the optimist part of ourselves and find creative ways to work around the pain that maybe we're feeling when we're in a certain pose. Sometimes it just has to do with the way we think about it. I was amazed at how well this worked. As I was doing my push ups on the yoga ball and my arms were burning and I didn't think there was any way I could do another one, I used my creative power and concentrated on my glutes. Once I took the focus off my arms and how much they hurt, Booyah!...I was able to bust out 10 more push ups! Where there's a will, there's a way!!

I really like this intention because I've always been an optimist. At times I have been ridiculed because of it and this class was a good reminder that being optimistic is a good thing. For example, I have a ward party coming up and I want to make some sort of fireplace backdrop for Santa to sit in front of. More than one person that I've told has looked at me with a "how in the heck do you think you'll be able to do that" kind of look. Well, I don't know exactly right now, but mark my word, I will have a fireplace backdrop for Santa. I believe that through creative power you can find a solution to just about anything. My mom was this way and I'm grateful that that trait was passed down to me. I look at my life and see all the things that I've accomplished because I creatively figured out a solution. I think half the battle is just trying in the first place. You never know if you'll be able to do something or not unless you try it. So why not go ahead and give it a shot, maybe you'll amaze yourself.

4 comments:

jaclyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jaclyn said...

are you not the one who made those centaurs costumes?? i have no doubt that the back drop will be awesome!

Jenny Kapp said...

You are the most optimistic person I know. There is always a way! Also, you are seriously creative - fire place...not a problem. Whomever doubted you was a fool!!

Kim said...

Seriously? I saw it and it looks dang good already! You are creative and this will be no problem for you...btw - love doing push-ups like this...it really rips out those chest and biceps! Good job!