Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day Two- The Meaning Behind My Blog Name

I believe I've already made a post about this a long time ago, but for those of you that are new to my blog here's the story...

When I was little I was always a little bugged by the fact that I didn't have a middle name. My dad told me it was because when I got married, my last name would become my middle name; therefore, there was no sense in giving girls middle names. Although this explanation may have been justifiable in his head, it still didn't sit well with me. I wanted a middle name! So I decided to give myself one.... Ivory!

Where did Ivory come from? Well, every year for Christmas my mom would give me a doll. (This tradition even continued into my married years). One year she gave me a cute baby doll, and then the following year she gave me a black baby doll (my mom went through a huge obsession with black dolls. She has quite the collection!) Well, when I got this black doll and set her on my bed next to my previous year's doll, it was only natural that I called the two of them Ebony and Ivory. After that I came to love the name Ivory and when it was time for me to pick out my own middle name, Ivory seemed to be the perfect fit.

All through jr. high and high school I had people convinced that my middle name really was Ivory. I probably even had myself convinced. I'd even sign my name with Ivory as my middle name. In fact I was so obsessed with it that my mom broke down and told me that we could go legally change my middle name if I wanted to. I'm not quite sure why that never happened.

Now lets fast forward 10 plus years when I decided to start a blog and needed to pick out my blog name. Everyone had all these creative names that dealt with their last name, but for the life of me I couldn't find something to go with Merrill. So if I wasn't able to incorporate my last name, well then obviously I'd just use my previous middle name. And that's why my blog is named Ivory!

0 comments: