Sunday, January 23, 2011

Always on My Mind

Whenever I go through my phases of insomnia, I know that it means that I have too much on my mind. Life is pretty slow right now, so I was a little shocked when I couldn't turn my brain off for the last three nights in a row. What's been on my mind? Well, let's see....

  • "Is it possible for a 4 year old to have p.m.s.? I'm serious, I swear once a month my dear sweet girl goes through some sort of hormonal imbalance and goes out of control. She's irrational (more than her normal 4 year old self), she's beyond dramatic, she breaks down in tears for the simplest things, like not being able to get her shoe on. And if you even look at her the wrong way she'll have a mini melt down. But then three weeks out of the month she's usually a sweet little angel. Hmmm, I wonder if there's any validity to my theory? I'll have to research that first thing in the morning."
  • "Why was I a bump on the log when we had T Night last Friday? I mean my family and Mandy's family get together and do nothing but talk about T, eat things T liked, play games he liked, and watch home movies that he was in. You'd think that it would have been therapeutic and a good thing, (which I think it probably was for most of the people that were there) but for some reason I had a hard time enjoying myself. I was a bump on the log, said nothing to contribute, and then left mad and frustrated with myself. Even now one week later here I am beating myself up over it. I was given a great opportunity to talk about my brother (which is what I want to do all too often) and I didn't take it. Grrrr."
  • "Why is it that I really hate small talk. Is it the fact that I hate the trivial "how are ya's." Or maybe it's the awkward looks of "what do I say next" that I don't like. Either way I don't like it. Is it bad that I try to avoid people to avoid small talk? I say no. I gotta do what I gotta do. I wish people would just get down to the meat of the conversation. Not that I'm all that good at it, I just wish other people would do it, so I don't have to squirm so much during the torturous small talk."
  • "I wonder if those vitamins/pills/herbal teas that claim to help your memory really work. I have a TERRIBLE short term memory and would almost be willing to give those a try-a-roo. It frustrates me to no end that I can't remember details of movies that I just saw or books that I just read. If it's not written down for me to remember at a later time, then there's a good chance it's long forgotten. Too bad that I'll forget all my thoughts about this in the morning and forget to research about it. I should get a pad and paper by my bed to help me remember my deep insomniac ponderings."
  • "After watching the Nate Berkus show today I think I'm going to try and incorporate turquoise into my bedroom more."
  • "What should I get/do for Matt this Valentine's? It seems like I've kind of dropped the ball when it comes to anniversary's and valentines lately. I should do something special for him. Hmmm, think, think, think,....I've got nothing."
  • "Why are people so embarrassed to cry or admit that something is wrong in their lives? It seems like a lot of people lately are hiding back the tears and are almost ashamed to let them be seen. I guess I've been known to do that before. I just wish people weren't like that with me. It would make me feel a lot better to know that others have down days just like me."
  • "Gee I wish T was here to gossip with. I loved gossiping with him. He was the most non judgmental gossiper I've ever met. He could give me the scoop on people's dirty laundry like no other, but at the same time you could see the love in his eyes for those people. Man he was amazing!!... Great. Here come the water works. I guess I'll sneak into the bathroom so I don't wake up Matt with my pity party."
  • "Why is it that our house gets so dang hot in the middle of the night?!!! If I turn the thermostat down too low, we freeze between the hours of 10 and 2. But if I don't, we roast after the 2:00 hour. There's no happy medium. I guess I'd rather be hot than cold."
  • "I need to remember to start finding a Queen Amidala costume for Jedi Days for Isaac's class. Man, I love to dress up."

So there you have it, life's questions as seen through the eyes of an insomniac.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Okay, Aleesha...I seriously just laughed...your mind is a racin' girl! First, I am terrible at small talk - well talk period esp when it means expressing myself and how I really feel. And I hate burdening people or crying in public...I am an ugly cryer...but it IS SO therapeutic!!! I am going to work on not being afraid to show the real me. Bree has melt downs like that too - it seriously drives me nuts...so you're not alone. I am sure that T Party will not be the last one...just being there and being amongst people you love and he loved and who love you...enjoy and love that. Thanks for being a real friend too...you are inspired!

Diana said...

I was looking through a magazine today and found this statement on Gossiping - totally thought of you and T:
"A new study has found that POSITIVE gossiping can help you feel part of a supportive family or community - and boost your own sense of well-being. Not surprising, however the more negative dirt you dish the worse you feel" I liked how you said "good gossip" when referring to T. I am going to come up with some juicy good/postive gossip for our next run. No small talk, just the goods!!! [Guess what I already cleared the record and found out marital status on Ms B - I'll share my finding on our 4 miler. You better come with some "good" stuff yourself:)

Aleesha said...

Sweet Diana!! I can't wait! And might I add, you are the queen of cutting to the meat of a conversation and skipping the nonsense small chat. I love that about you!!

Jenny Kapp said...

Here we go...yes, little girls have pms, the question is is whether she is on the same cycle as you are.

It is ok that some nights you just aren't feeling it. You will love T parties other times. It just wasn't your night of nights.

The small talk just makes me laugh. You are Chris are really kindred spirits. I just wish either one of you could start a conversation with each other to be able to talk about all the things that you are the same! Maybe that is why I get you, I am married to a boy version.

I have no memory either. Turquoise is so pretty. If you come up with something good, I need to do something great for Chris also. I think I might just cry in front of everyone a little too much! I have no gossip, sorry!

Program your thermostat to turn down a few degrees at 2 am. Good luck with the costume, you'll look great!! Yeah, I am so full of answers today. Don't ask tomorrow, I will probably fail the quiz!

jaclyn said...

loving your insomniac thoughts, they make me laugh.