Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Like Mother, Like Daughter

Today marks the 4 year anniversary (is anniversary the right word here?) that my mom passed away. Is it any easier some have asked? Nope. It still hurts and I still miss her like crazy.



So, while my mom was here on this earth I fought and disputed the fact that I was anything like her. I was a unique person with my own characteristics and traits and plus, she was so weird! (At least that's what I tried to convince myself of.) But since her death I have been grasping at ways that I am like her. She was a better person than I gave her credit for. So in honor of her, here's my list of ways that I'm just like her... (can I just add how much she would love this list!) (oh, one more thing, those aren't just random pics of my mom, they're ones that demonstrate how we're alike)

  • We both love to decorate.
  • We both like to be frugal. She taught me everything she knows about shopping at second hand stores and I have come to love it just as much as she did. (The second picture is of her folding tissue paper so we could save it and use it again).
  • We both like to linger at family gatherings. The longer we can stay the better. (Too bad my hubby doesn't feel the same way. He's like his mom, the sooner you can leave the better.)
  • We both have a love for vintage things. But it can't be just any random vintage thing, there has to be meaning behind it.
  • We both have OCD when it comes to things being straight and in order. For example, crooked tablecloths, picture frames, and bed covers drive us crazy!
  • We both like to go all out when we are given an assignment or task.
  • We both like comfort food, especially gravy. (The top picture is of her making her famous milk gravy.)
  • We both love jewelry.
  • We both love to dress up for Halloween.
  • We are both people pleasers.
  • We both make the same gagging sound when brushing our teeth.
  • We both are So. Weber homebodies.
  • We both love 50s music. Elvis, Buddy Holly, Doris Day, Perry Como, etc.
  • We both love to dance.
  • We both love to have music playing while doing chores or other things.
There's probably more, but my brain is like mush right now. I love my mom, and I'm proud to say that I have a lot of her in me.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

oh how sweet....I had forgotten that she passed just 2 days after my birthday. I did remember it was right before Thanksgiving. I do miss her too..great memories....and 2 things on the list don't fit me....I don't really cook that much so I don't make milk gravy...but I do like it and the other is I am not a So. Weber homebody (looked there but hated the wind). It is very weird how the genes play a roll. If you are ever looking for something special or need someone to go with to consignment shops let me know..I think that is the only shopping I do like. BTW the crooked things problem comes from Olive.

Kim said...

what a lovely post Aleesha! I didn't know your Mom, but if she and you are alike I am sure I would have loved her too! What a great tribute.

Casey said...

I can't believe is has been that long already! I am sure she is very proud and happy that you have so much in common.

Diana said...

You're right - she would of loved the list. She probably would of printed it off and carefully folded it up, placed it in her purse to proudly pull out and show off to everyone!!! I've been thinking about you all day. Perhaps tonight would be a good time to pull out the Hug Mugs, turn on the fire, sit back and reflect. We love and miss Lana too!

Jenny Kapp said...

So sweet! To this day when I think of your mom all I can do is smile. She was so quirky in the good ways. I love all the things you inherited from her! You, like her, are simply the best!!

Angie said...

The best ever was when Steven told everyone to give you a theme for Grandma's b-day. He knew you'd get all wrapped up in it and even likes to see you go a little crazy over it...it's like watching his mom all over again. Love ya Leesh!

Elder and Sister Birt said...

Like you, Aleesha, I miss her every single day. We were BFF's for 45 yrs. It's painful not to have her to share my life with. This year on the 17th I really needed to feel close to her so I wrapped myself in the quilt she made for me. I usually have that quilt in my car but it's still here with me on the couch. Love ya