Friday, July 16, 2010

Go, Go, Going

It seems like we've fit in a lot of things these past few weeks. Like I said in my last post, I've put myself on auto pilot and am just go, go, going for the sake of those around me. And as long as I'm busy, it helps my mind from going to that "ugly place" that I could so easily go. So here's all the "going" that we've been doing...

For the summer, we decided to do "theme day" once a week, like we did over spring break. Our first one was planned for the day after T's funeral, so I decided to make it a simple one. We had X Box Day. I made all of our meals in the shape of an X, the kids watched Netflix via the X Box, we downloaded a new video game for the X Box, and Luke walked around all day with a box on his head (I'm so mad I didn't get a picture of that. That kid cracks me up!)

We went to the Roy Aquatic Center with Jason, Melinda and their son Isaiah. The boys love their Uncle Jason, so it was really fun for them to get to spend time with him there.




I went to Eclipse with my die hard Twilight fan cousins Angelene and Jenny. We always have so much fun together!

We celebrated the 4th of July with Matt's whole family. We had a BBQ/Birthday Party for Rocky at Jason's parents house, and then....

...we went to The Stadium of Fire. I'd never been before, and I had a lot of negative feedback from anyone who had ever gone, so I wasn't really looking forward to it. But I've gotta say that I really enjoyed it. It was good entertainment (Carrie Underwood) and surprisingly a very emotional experience for me. Maybe it's just because I'm emotional anyways, but I found myself getting choked up quite a bit. I teared up when all the Scouts came out holding the gazillion American flags. I teared up when the fighter jets came zooming over our heads. I teared up when all the different divisions of the armed forces were asked to stand up. Especially when they asked all the members of the Air Force to stand and Matt's dad stood. I teared up when we all said the Pledge of Allegiance. Okay, this is getting ridiculous. Now that I'm writing it all out, I was a wreck that night!




But to top it all off, I not only teared up, but I sobbed when Carrie Underwood sang some of her songs. She sang a beautiful rendition of How Great Thou Art, but the song that got me the worst was the song, "Temporary Home." If you've never heard it before, you should. The last verse in the song talks about a man who is dying and is surrounded by his family. He tells them all to not cry for him because he'll see them all again someday. When she sang that verse I looked over at Matt while sobbing uncontrollably and said, "You have got to be kidding me," only to see the same tears in Matt's eyes.

We went on a walk along the Riverdale Parkway.

We hung out with Matt's family and did fireworks in their front yard.



We went to the So. Ogden Splash Pad.





Our second theme day was Toy Day. We went to Dollar Tree and bought new toys. We cleaned out the kids closets and got rid of old toys. The kids played with long forgotten toys that hadn't been played with in a long time. And we went and saw Toy Story 3.

Other go, go, going activities include:
trips to Farr's Ice Cream Parlor,
the midnight showing to see Avatar: Airbender,
seeing Eclipse again with Matt's sisters,
going to "The Purple Park,"
going to Layton Park,
going to the park on Church Street,
playing multiple games of baseball in the backyard,
karate classes,
writing a gazillion Thank You cards,
walked to Ray's to buy candy bars that were already melted and taffy that was rock hard,
played numerous games of Ra with Melinda,
etc, etc.

I can't wait to see all the go, go, goings that are in store for us these next few weeks.





7 comments:

Uriona Family said...

You have been busy. I want to come hang out with your family. You guys are fun!1 I am so glad to hear that Rays is still going strong. It has been YEARS since I have been to the good old South Weber to check things out. Can we have a playdate so I can come experience all the old school joy with you? :)

Angie said...

Oh man, I haven't done our thank you cards yet so I now I feel like a slacker. I'm glad you liked stadium of fire but I don't think I'll listen to that Carrie Underwood song for a couple years. I can't tell you how happy I was to hear that you teared up when the jets flew by. That gets me every time and I thought I was the only one. You have been a busy woman, thanks for fitting us into the hairy schedule one night. Can't wait til Friday!

Tracy said...

oh how songs excite the spirit and the spirit brings the tears....It always gets to me too. I see you still have the playing spirit like the rest of the family.

Shaury said...

Good times! I'm glad to hear about the candy at Ray's. They should really start selling Michael Jackson purses again, & renting movies. I always get teary eyed at EVERY Jazz game when they sing the national anthem. We just have so much to be thankful for.

Anonymous said...

I heard that same Carrie Underwood song that day...thought of Travis and all of you of course and thought about how grateful I am that this is a temporary home and that we can all be together again....so grateful for that.

Kim said...

It sure looks like you have been go, going! Whew! I am glad you are finding happy moments to share and to enjoy. It reminds all of us to look for those too. I know that song by Carrie Underwood. I went and listened to it again after your post. Wow...amazing how music can just touch you like that.

Tiffany Ralphs said...

Thanks for the fun ideas!! Keep posting them because it gives me some inspiration of fun to do at our house. Have you taught your kids the orphanage escape game or "no legs" yet...good times!!