Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Relay For Life

I've decided to get a team together for Relay For Life. For those of you that have never heard of this, it's an awareness/fundraiser for the American Cancer Society. Matt's sister Monica presented me with the idea of getting a team together, and I didn't even have to think twice about it. As you all know, my brother Travis is battling cancer right now and this is one way that I can honor him & show my support to him and all the many others out there dealing with cancer.

Now I'm asking every single one of you to jump on board with me. After going to several meetings for this I get more and more excited about it. It's held at the Weber State University football stadium and it starts Friday, June 5th, in the early evening, and then ends the following morning on Saturday, June 6th. This isn't a race, it's just an event where at any given time you need to have at least one person from your team on the track. The first lap is walked/ran by cancer survivors and then the second lap the cancer survivor's significant other joins them. Through the course of the evening there are all sorts of fun things to do. We can bring tents to set up, games to play, food to eat, etc. etc. The Relay For Life committee also has a lot of things planned as well. The Jazz Bear will be there, movies will be played on a big screen, and a big stage is set up with several different activities going on at different times. I think this is going to be a really fun and memorable night.

Like I said, I'm asking all of you to join my team. Whether you're a friend or family, you are more than welcome. The more the merrier! If you want to join, click on this link (relay for life) and then click on join my team. If you don't want to join, you can still support this cause by going to the same link and then donating $. I'm also going to try to organize a fundraiser that each of you can participate or donate to. Our team goal is to raise $1500. That sounds like a lot, but if you break it down, each team member only needs to raise about $100. I sincerely hope that each of you will consider to participate in one way or another. It's a really good cause and I'm really excited about it.

5 comments:

Jeni said...

well aleesha...this explains where you've been lately...I've been missing you. What a neat thing. I'll have to get back to you as far as participation goes...this sounds like it will be a really fun and neat event!

Monica said...

Yeah! I can't wait for this, it's going to be great. I need to get going on letting more of my friends know about it...It really is going to be so much fun!

Becky A said...

sounds awesome!

Ellie McFreaken said...

Aleesha...we went last year for a neighbor and it was fun. My sister in law is getting married that weekend and we aren't sure where yet but I will let you know.
Let me know when the fundraiser is and if you need help!

Anonymous said...

Leesh, thank-you so much for putting this together. The support from you and others gives me hope and strength. Love Ya,
Your Fav Bro Travis