The past few weeks I have been taking a trip down memory lane. To start off, my Grandma Poll had her 90th Birthday Party. For her party, I volunteered to set up a display table. I really, really enjoyed searching through all her photo albums with her and hearing stories about her life. I always thought I had more of my mom's side than my dad's side of the family in me, but after talking with my Grandma, I realized I have more Poll in me than I thought. My grandma and I have a lot in common. Just like me, she liked to be involved in so many things. She was on dance decorating committees (which was a big deal back then), she was royalty at many dances, she won several pageants (Miss Weber was her big crowning moment), she was a class officer, she was in the pep club (also a big deal back then), and the list goes on and on. Here's one of my most favorite pictures of her. Isn't she beautiful?!

The party was just as I expected it to be. For 10 plus years we've gone to the same place any time my grandparents have a milestone birthday or anniversary. We rent out a banquet room at a hotel on 12th street. Why? I don't know. The food's gross, it's a terrible place to bring kids, and the scenery is getting pretty old. But my grandma seems to be stuck in her ways and doesn't want to go anywhere else. She says she "knows the people there" :). So I toughed through the grossest helping of potatoes au gratin I've ever had and tried to enjoy it for what I was really there for. We must love our grandma a lot to put up with that place year after year.
Here's the only picture I have from the night of the party. Love those cousins!
My second trip down memory lane was when Matt and I went and played night games with a bunch of adults in the neighborhood/ward. We have some friends that have a 3 acre backyard filled with trees. It felt like we were out camping in the middle of the woods. This was the perfect yard to play in. We played kick the can, steal the flag, and sardines. I had so much fun! It was amazing how all my childhood memories came rushing back to me. We were ALWAYS playing night games. This especially made me think of Travis. He always invited me to come play night games with him and all his friends. My favorite was when we'd go up to the elementary school and play. I remember one time we were up there playing and some police showed up. So we all ran and hid in the toys hoping that they wouldn't see us. Travis took good care of me and hid me in the old huge tires that were there. He said it was okay if he got in trouble, but he didn't want me to. What a good brother!
And my last trip down memory lane was when our family went and had Sunday dinner with the Birt family. Our families have been close way before I was even born. It started when my dad and Nolan were friends, and my mom and Diane were bff's in High School. Ever since then they have remained friends. Especially my mom and Diane. They have been besties ever since I can remember. In fact, they even had their kids at the same time. It's really quite freakish. Each of us are only within a couple of months of each other. (It may be even closer than that). I can picture the two of them squealing with excitement every time they found out they were pregnant at the same time. My friend Shaury and I are actually only 5 days apart. So it was a lot of fun to get together with their family. Unfortunately, that crappy void was there. My mom & Travis would have loved it! There's a lot of memories there between our families.
And my last trip down memory lane was when our family went and had Sunday dinner with the Birt family. Our families have been close way before I was even born. It started when my dad and Nolan were friends, and my mom and Diane were bff's in High School. Ever since then they have remained friends. Especially my mom and Diane. They have been besties ever since I can remember. In fact, they even had their kids at the same time. It's really quite freakish. Each of us are only within a couple of months of each other. (It may be even closer than that). I can picture the two of them squealing with excitement every time they found out they were pregnant at the same time. My friend Shaury and I are actually only 5 days apart. So it was a lot of fun to get together with their family. Unfortunately, that crappy void was there. My mom & Travis would have loved it! There's a lot of memories there between our families.
6 comments:
Aleesha - the young picture of your Grandma looks like you!
I never knew that your mom and Shaury's mom were good friends growing up- that is so fun! How great that you and your families have remained close through all these years. You both look great by the way!
I love trips down memory lane. Family friends are the best. And I so wish we had gone to the night games! It sounded like so much fun. Hey have fun this weekend!
That's what I was gonna say! You look a lot like good ol' Elaine in that picture.
And I'm laughing picturing all you guys gagging down potatoes augratin at the party ;)
Love the pic of you & Shaury. Hope our families can continue getting together...fun times. I missed your mom so much that day...I felt she was with us. It didn't seem right without Travis either. AND...you really do look like your grandma Poll!
Love ya
Aleesha, you are such a darling girl, I can't believe how much you look like Grandma Poll, amazing and so beautiful. I miss your Mom.. I'm so thankful for Diane. You are fortunate to have her near you.
Love you
Post a Comment